A few weeks ago I finally got the nerve to try my hand at soapmaking. My phobia of lye has been downgraded to a healthy respect now that I’ve actually handled the stuff without incident.
I made this soap from used cooking oil (95% or better canola) and very lightly fragranced it (one half “green grass,” one half lavender). I unmolded it today (which is to say that I tore off the milk cartons that I had poured the stuff into) and cut it into bars so that it can cure quicker. In about a month it should be dry enough to use (today it was the consistency of butter fresh from the fridge). I’ll let you know then if it worked – and if so I’ll share my simple recipe!
If this works then we have solved another classic rag and bone problem: what to do with used cooking oils and fats. We figure you can probably never have too much soap.
Incidentally, cutting up the soap today proved to be a “self-cleaning” project. I ran hot water over the cutting board and knife and they lathered up nicely!
[Note from the future: the recipe is here!]